Online safety is really important these days as we spend more and more time using the internet. Here are some tips for keeping yourself safe when you’re online;
- Meeting online friends in real life can be really dangerous. You never really know who they are; many people lie about themselves online and sometimes they are really dangerous people.
- If you must meet someone that you know from online in real life, meet in a public place, bring a friend or family member that you trust and make sure your parents or friends know where you’re going so they can be aware that you may be in a risky situation.>/span>
- Don’t give your real /full name and NEVER give out your address, school/workplace or phone number online.
- Never give out personal information about you or your friends and family online.
- If you receive or see something that makes you uncomfortable, STOP right away and tell a parent or friend that you trust.
- NEVER give out your passwords or PIN numbers to anyone.
- Don’t open emails, files, or web pages unless you know who they are from. They could contain viruses or spyware.
- Don’t believe everything that you read or see on the internet. The freedom of information available on the net is great, but it can have its drawbacks; anyone can put any info on the net without it being true or accurate.
For more info about online safety check these out;
Tom Wood's Complete Guide to Stopping Cyber-Bullying
For info /research about internet use by same sex attracted and gender diverse young people check this out;
back to Info main page